I love the sauce.
I’ve learned that ultimately, all the savory and spicy foods that I eat are only vehicles for sauce.
So when spring comes around and I need to hit it hard to lean up for “ab city” one of the first things to go are my variety of sauces. Barbeque sauce especially is filled with sugar, carbs, and calories, all things that you DEFINITELY want to avoid when trying to shed the extra pounds.
Did I mention barbeque sauce is by far my most favorite of all sauces? The king of all sauces perhaps? The king of sauces!
So I guess that means the barbeque sauce is gone right? Plain chicken. Sweet potato with no sauce. Pulled pork with zero delicious barbeque?
With this recipe you are going to cook up your own barbeque sauce and it is going to be healthy and taste amazing, so let’s get to it.
- 1 cup apple juice (get the all-natural no preservative organic stuff!)
- 1 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (I suggest starting at ¼ tsp if you don’t like it hot)
- Toss all of your ingredients into a saucepan, bring up to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour it into a little Tupperware container or jar and place in the fridge.
Your newly made BBQ sauce will keep in the fridge for about a week.